Desire – The Limiting Factor of Success

Orrin Woodward and Chris Brady in Launching a Leadership Revolution say “Hunger provides the energy to begin, the stamina to persist, and the will to finish…,”   In talking with my mentor, Tim Marks, I have heard him say, “The world doesn’t reward potential, if only he had desire, he could be one of the greats!”   What makes a man step up and focus where others quit?   Circumstance?   Attitude?   Upbringing?   No.   The desire to be more; to not be controlled by the world.

I believe all men (and women) are born with an innate drive to be free; I believe it is God-given.   “For You were called to freedom brothers.   Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another” (Galatians 5:13 ESV)   The bestseller, The Millionaire Next Door, noted that the majority of new millionaires in the US are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants.   What would drive a person to cross an ocean, learn a new language, learn a new culture, leave everything they know behind, start over from zero to work long hours, scrimp and save?   Desire for a better life, for an opportunity, for hope!

Here is one of my favorite quotes of all time:

“Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

- Calvin Coolidge 30th president of United States of America

So how do we develop “Desire” / “Hunger”?

One key to recognize, as Lana Hamilton says, “We are powerless to change anything we tolerate.”   We must become intolerant of our circumstances.   What are the things that we put up with that we shouldn’t?   What are the areas we “settle for?”   Where are we merely mediocre when we should be exceptional?

After a decade and a half in the psychiatric nursing field I was shocked at what I tolerated, in retrospect.   I was laid-off once, pay-cut twice, pay frozen for four years, received IOU’s, instead of checks, forced to work fur-low days, yearly cuts in benefits, huge losses in my retirement account and was injured 17 times.   Why did I put up with that?   Frankly, I hoped it would change.

No wonder I found it funny when I read this:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” – Albert Einstein

A second way to grow your hunger is to develop the discipline on dreaming.   “You never get what you want out of life, you only get what you focus on!”   That is one of my favorite truisms.   So how do we create and have hope in the midst of challenging circumstances?   Do we focus on problems or solutions?   A dream must be bigger than who we are currently and big enough to make us want to grow.   Tim Marks is famous for teaching this basic principal: “Define what you out of life, figure out the cost and pay the price!”   “Define, Learn, Do” is a LIFE and TEAM basic tenant.   So what does your “ideal” life look like?   Who is it you’re supposed to be?

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” - Wayne Gretzky

It is crucial to decide where you want to go, what you want to accomplish, and most importantly, who you wish to become in the process!   What could you do if you dedicated the next five years, the next ten years or the rest of your life to it???   Remember: You were born for a purpose and only you can do what only you can do.   Don’t waste time not doing it, Do It Now!!!

- Chris Mattis

13 comments on “Desire – The Limiting Factor of Success

1. Lynda Varada says:

Love this! Desire is the trump card.

2. Jon Groves says:

Great post! I am looking forward to getting more of these great nuggets at the seminar this weekend.

3. Kyle Starr says:

Hey Chris!

Once again a great article, I believe we tolerate so much because it’s all we know, and haven’t been give the CORRECT information (until TEAM/LIFE, You, Jim, and Kevin showed me the way) to do anything about it. I can speak for myself when I say I wanted something more, but didn’t know how to go about doing it or even where to start. “Nothing in LIFE worth having comes EASY” – my Dad, who worked hard his whole life sine he was 11yrs old. We must protect our thinking and stop letting people influence us who don’t have the results we want. Keep up the great work!

Take care Chris,
    Kyle

4. marilyn says:

Hi Chris, thanks for the inspiring words! I know I can always dream bigger and have great reasons to overcome baggage that says, dont set your hopes too high so you wont be disappointed or have too far for them to fall down on you. But I am coming to understand the proportional relationship between the size of the dream and our capacity to withstand discomfort on the road to attaining it. looking forward to the seminar broadcast and tuesday! thanks for your wise leadership!

5. Hungry to serve says:

Awesome!

6. Kammy Kenman says:

My hunger for more has always been there. In the last 10 years prior to joining Team-Life I had opened 3 business’ all in search of something better. I finally feel at home with my new business partners and friends. There is nothing greater than being in the service of others. Be well and Blog on.

Thanks always for your encouraging words.

7. Jeff Stratman says:

Chris,

I thank God for giving you the desire to strive for excellence. The example that you’ve set has been consistant for the last three years that I have had the pleasure of knowing you. Your influence has not only inspired me, but countless others with the desire to developing
    into the people that we are destined to become. Continue to lead the charge and may God bless you indeed.

8. Sharon says:

Thankyou so much for posting this, it is amazing to know that their is hope for everyone of us, no matter where we come from.

Sharon

9. Greg Mazur says:

Galations 5:13 is one of my favorites verses.

10. Chris,

I love the comment on Hunger as Orrin Woodward and Chris Brady wrote in Launching a Leadership Revolution. I have watched your tremendous success journey and you have maintained your hunger level, first to succeed and then to help others.

11. Kevin Hamm says:

Chris,

Great Post. You are a good writer! Keep it up. You said what I needed to hear.

Kevin Hamm

12. Kyle Starr says:

Hey Chris!
    I hope you havea great Holliday I just wanted to add something on “Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.” Just think that Jack London who is a well-known American author wasn’t always such a success. While he would go on to publish popular novels like White Fang and The Call of the Wild, his first story received six hundred rejection slips before finally being accepted.
    Persistence does previal those who don’t quit in the face of rejection. Have a great Christmas and Happy New Year! :)

13. Derrick Mcculler says:

Chris u couldn’t be more right u truly have an incredible gift for seeing the truth in things. I was needing an extra pick me up before meeting with a potential business partner and I just know it if I went here u would inspire me to push that much harder for greatness.

Derrick McCuller (Blue)